1.22.2007

Carrots and Cigarettes

http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/comicG122206.jpg

The above comic is not only quirky and fun but I find it mind boggling as well. You see every day I go to work at my parent's gas station and I encounter handfuls if not basketfuls of iressponsible adults. I have heard about divorces, child custody battles, ignored siblings, robberies, and empty bank accounts. All of the action that I see I feel boil down to just hiding from responsibility. Every person who comes into the station is ready to blame someone else every time something doesn't go there way.

Example #1

Customer "A" pulls up to the gas pump, inserts card. Card is denied. The customer immediatly comes inside and responds to the situation with something along the lines of "Whats wrong with pump 7?"

Now in this situation it is very difficult not to tell the customer that there is nothing wrong with the pump the problem is that Customer "A" is irresponsible with their own financial situation and they didn't even know the amount of money in there bank account.

Hiding from Responsibility

Example #2

My favorite this customer "B" if you will bring their young child into the gas station. "B" inspires me by seeming to be a good parent and tells the child to search for that perfect candy. While this is happening the parent requests a pack of cigarettes (irresponsible). Here is where it gets good...the child brings the candy up ....the parent does not have enough money for both the smoking devices and the candy so the child is told to put the candy back....let that sink in for a moment.


All this from a comic with carrots in it.

No comments: